Sat, Feb 25|
NYS Pistol Permit/Concealed Carry Permit Course February
PLEASE READ COURSE DESCRIPTION THOROUGHLY. This is the required safety course needed to apply for your NYS concealed carry license or upgrade.
Time & Location
Feb 25, 8:00 AM – Feb 26, 5:00 PM
Carmel Hamlet, 39 Seminary Hill Rd, Carmel Hamlet, NY 10512, USA
About the Event
Westchester County Residents: This course is approved for new permit AND upgrades.
Putnam County Residents: This course is for NEW permits ONLY. Permit upgrades do not need to take this course.
Other NYS Residents: this course meets and exceeds the new NYS guidelines.
This course is 16 hours of classroom plus 2 hours of range time.
Payment must be made at time of registration due to high demand. Reservations without payment will be cancelled.***
DRESS WARMLY AS THE RANGE IS NOT FULLY HEATED.
Who is eligible:
Pursuant to Penal Law §400.00(1), the following additional eligibility requirements apply to Carry pistol licenses:
- The applicant must not have been convicted within five years of the date of the application of any of the following: (i) assault in the third degree, as defined in Penal Law §120.00; (ii) misdemeanor driving while intoxicated, as defined in Vehicle & Traffic Law §1192; or (iii) menacing, as defined Penal Law §120.15.
- who has not been involuntarily committed to a facility under the jurisdiction of an office of the department of mental hygiene pursuant to article nine or fifteen of the mental hygiene law, article seven hundred thirty or section 330.20 of the criminal procedure law, section four hundred two or five hundred eight of the correction law, section 322.2 or 353.4 of the family court act, or has not been civilly confined in a secure treatment facility pursuant to article ten of the mental hygiene law;
- who has not been convicted anywhere of a felony or a serious offense or who is not the subject of an outstanding warrant of arrest issued upon the alleged commission of a felony or serious offense
- The above are typically the more common disqualifiers for a pistol license. For a complete list: https://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article400.php#p400.02
Any individual who seeks to obtain a Concealed Carry License for a pistol or revolver is required to take the 16-hour classroom and 2-hour live-fire concealed carry firearm safety training course. This will be required for Concealed Carry Licenses issued on or after September 1, 2022
Students who successfully complete 16 hours of classroom training to include passing a written test, as well as completing a live-fire assessment on a shooting range will be issued certificates.
This course will include, but is not limited to the following:
16 hours of classroom training that will include:
- General firearm safety
- Firearm and ammunition functions and operation
- Firearm cleaning and maintenance
- Safe handling practices
- Range safety rules
- Proper holster considerations and retention strategies for safe concealed carry
- Firearm safe storage requirements, as defined in Penal Law §§ 265.45 and 265.50
- General firearm secure storage and transportation best practices
- State and federal gun laws, including the possession disqualifiers under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) and New York State law
- Restrictions on the private sale or transfer of firearms under New York General Business Law § 898
- Requirements for keeping firearm license information up to date
- Properly registering pistols and revolvers
- License recertification and, if applicable, renewal requirements, including but not limited to the provision set forth in Articles 265 and 400 of the Penal Law
- Concealed carry situational awareness of surroundings, including firearm display and concealment
- Conflict de-escalation tactics that include verbal and non-verbal strategies, including retreating, that are intended to reduce the intensity of a conflict or crises encountered
- Adverse effects of alcohol and drug use as it pertains to firearm safety
- Best practices when encountering law enforcement (e.g., a traffic stop), including how to communicate throughout the encounter, considerations for disclosing concealed carry status and displaying a valid firearm license, obeying all commands given by the officer(s), and best practices for handling a firearm and self-identification as a lawful concealed carry licensee if the firearm is visible when an officer responds to an incident
- The statutorily defined sensitive places listed in Penal Law § 265.01-e and the restrictions on firearm possession in restricted places under Penal Law § 265.01- d
- Conflict management
- Use of deadly physical force, including the circumstances in which deadly physical force may be considered justified, and when there is the duty to retreat pursuant to Penal Law § 35.15(2)
- Suicide prevention including recognizing signs of suicide risk and resources to obtain assistance, including a suicide hotline
- Basic principles of marksmanship, including stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, and trigger control.
2 hours of live-fire training that will include:
- Range safety
- Safe drawing, target acquisition, and re-holstering
- Dry firing
- Safe loading and unloading of ammunition
- Performing a firearm condition check, and how to achieve and verify a safe and empty firearm condition
- Safely discharging the firearm
This course also includes:
- All classroom and range instruction
- NRA Certified Range Safety Officers on the range
- Use of a handgun (if you do not currently own one)
- All range fees & targets
- Upon successful completion of the course, a course completion certificate
- Recommendations for further education & training opportunities
What you'll need to bring:
- A VALID Governmental photo ID (Driver's license, Non-driver ID, US passport)
- A handgun (if you do not own one, one will be provided)
- Eye and ear protection (We have these items in our store if you need to purchase)
- Minimum of 50 rounds of ammunition (We have these items in our store if you need to purchase)
- A positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- DRESS WARMLY AS THE RANGE IS NOT FULLY HEATED.
Class Minimum Size: 12 Students
NYS CCW Permit Course